How to Build a Greenhouse in 10 Easy Steps
Many gardeners embark on a special mission- to build the perfect greenhouse. Pre-fabricated kits will not suffice for these dreamers; they know what they want and have a plan to get it. At least, they have the beginning of a plan- research how to build a greenhouse. Luckily, we can help you fill in the details. This checklist will help you build the greenhouse of our dreams in 10 easy steps.
How to Build a Greenhouse
1. Sketch out your building plans in detail. Use graph paper to scale if possible. In your design, be sure to include any electrical outlets or gas and water lines that are needed.
2. Decide where to construct your masterpiece. Choose an area that gets full sun and is relatively flat, unless you have time and money to spend on excavating.
3. Prepare a shopping list and shop wisely. It may take you a few weeks to gather your building supplies if you are a frugal shopper, so plan accordingly.
4. Prepare the foundation. If your design calls for a concrete, gravel, or brick floor, prepare the foundation and set the posts for your greenhouse (a combination of a gravel walkway and a gravel base is recommended). Be sure to anchor your structure appropriately, especially if you live in a windy area. Don’t forget to bring your electricity, gas and water lines into the greenhouse.
5. Next, install the framework for your greenhouse walls and roof.
6. Installing the heating system is next. You can choose from a solar-powered, gas, electric or oil heater for your greenhouse.
7. Circulating fans, if desired, are installed after the heating system is in place.
8. After wiring, heating and cooling systems, and framework is in place, you can install the covering of choice in the greenhouse frame. Options include, plastic, poly-vinyl sheeting, fiberglass, Solexx, or glass. See greenhouse paneling comparison chart.
9. Install your water source and any automated systems you desire.
10. Arrange benches, supplies, and plants inside the greenhouse.
Building your own greenhouse is a rewarding experience. Designing and building your own structure ensures that you get exactly what you need and want. It involves extra effort, but the end result is a custom designed and built greenhouse that enhances your gardening experience with all the features you desire.
These 10 easy steps provide the basics for building the greenhouse of your dreams. You provide the details, hard work, and vision to complete the project.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.